Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Part 2: Testosterone update and coming out some more

Oh boy.

The leadership team here at the office is finding out about me today.  That adds to the group another five people who know at work.  Wow. I have butterflies. I have no doubt that it will go just fine, but it is a little bit intimidating.

In other news, I met with Dr. Thorp yesterday and she upped my T dose.  My serum level was at 400, which is low-normal for a cis-guy - so I was pretty happy about that.  She pretty much said she thought I was using more than 2 pumps since my serum level was so good, without actually calling me out on it. But I was honest with her and said that in fact, I'm only using two pumps but I'm using gloves etc...to ensure that I get the best results I can.

Thorp asked about changes I've experienced and my general well-being, which was great.  And she suggested something called "danazol" which is often used to tread endometriosis, but it is an androgen and has a masculinizing effect so they don't often use it anymore. It is designed to help keep me from cramping and bleeding the bit that I still am. So hopefully that'll work out well for me.

Then she suggested increasing my dose of T to three pumps of the 1% solution of Androgel.  I asked if there was any reason not to do two pumps of the 1.62% solution, instead, and she said there was not. So I suggested that as an increased dose instead of the three pumps of 1% and she said that would be fine, it would just be a matter of getting the insurance co. to approve it.

We'll see how that goes when my partner drops of the 'scrip at Costco this afternoon.  I imagine it will have to be pre-authorized again, which is fine. I have plenty of the 1% solution left and put on three pumps today :). And it is on the formulary.  HealthPartners doesn't seem to discriminate between the 1.62% and the 1% on the formulary for some reason.


1 comment:

  1. when did you start T? sorry i missed that part. sounds like everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete