Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Name change hearing and birthday!

Today I turn 37.  Who knew, when I was 27 and doing this the first time 'round, that I'd actually arrive at this day, a decade later? Who knew, when I was 19 and figuring this stuff out for the first time ever, that this day would come?

I am so grateful to have arrived at this day today. I could not have done it without the amazing support of Brandi and all my wonderful friends, family, co-workers and medical professionals.

Today I got my name officially changed at the Ramsey County Courthouse with Brandi and one of my oldest friends, CJ, by my side, along with CJ's wife.  It was smooth as silk, with no trouble and all orders being signed as I requested.  I had to verify that I wasn't avoiding any debts and they had to verify that I have not been convicted of any crimes, and then the witnesses vouched for me, and she signed the forms and sent us on our way.

I have to still go pick up some copies - they're not ready right away - but I'm official!
Now I can start changing my name with social security, on my driver's license, my birth certificate, etc. I have in my hot little hands a letter from my surgeon indicating that I've undergone gender reassignment surgery and that she is of the opinion that I am male. I will send that off with my name change order and some forms to the Vital Records folks for the town I was born in in CT, and I will apply for a new DL and request a variance for gender change, along with that documentation, and I will head on down to the Social Security Administration to change that as well.  I am so thrilled and excited I can barely contain myself.

What a great birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment