Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Social Security card achievement unlocked

On Friday September 20th, I received my not-so-shiny new Social Security card in the mail.
It actually took about 14 days for it to arrive, just as the gentleman at the SSA office said it would.

Let me warn folks who want to change their Soc. Sec. information to take at least a half day, if not a whole day to do it.

There is only one Social Security Administration Office in the metro who handles new SS cards.  It is on Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis and it is HOPPING!  I got there at 2 and didn't leave until close to 4:30 thanks to the masses of people there to get their cards.  They have a separate card office around the back of the building (with plenty of parking back there) which is different from the part of the building where you access your benefits, so that's good. But there were probably 100 people in there when I got there.

When my number was called, I presented my old Social Security Card, my name change order, my drivers license and yellow renewal slip, and that was it.  He changed my name and gender in the computer; showed me the printout so that I could ensure it was correct; and gave me a receipt to take home with me proving that it had been changed and that my card would arrive in 14 days, which it did.  No fees or anything.  Easy as pie. 

Still waiting on the DL to arrive - should be here soon.  And the kind folks at the Connecticut State Vital Statistics Office are processing my request as we speak. So that should arrive soon.

I suppose I should start to change my name in all the other places - bank, medical clinics, etc...That sounds tedious and hard, but I'm all over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment