Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Birth certificate

Package to State of Connecticut re: birth certificate

The check is in the mail!

Well, the letter and documentation and money order addressed to "Treasurer, State of Connecticut" are in the mail; headed to my new friend Maria Colon at the CT Department of Vital Statistics.

She emailed me the necessary forms to change my name and gender on my birth certificate and after getting the surgeon and my therapist to both get affidavits signed and notarized and sent back to me, all the required documentation is in the envelope and it is on its way!

So, for those Yankees out there who need to change their birth certificate, here's the skinny:

Call Maria Colon at the state vital statistics office and get her to send you an email with the forms in it (or contact me and I'll get them to you). Those forms include the birth certificate order form and two affidavits, one from your surgeon and one from your licensed therapist (psychologist, psychiatrist or LCSW). Get those filled out and notarized (most banks have a free notary service available to you) and then mail them, the filled out birth certificate order form and a money order made payable to "Treasurer, State of Connecticut" for $30.00, along with a current photo ID. I had to include two photo IDs because I don't have my new MN driver's license with my new name on it yet, but I do have a government issued work ID.

Connecticut amends your birth record. It will not take three months to process (the recorded message at the state vital statistics office says requests are being processed in three months, but Maria Colon - my new friend in CT - stated that it would not take three months to process). They will seal the old record and hide it away forever.  A new birth certificate will be issued with the new information on it. It will not be marked "amended," which is a nice thing that the state is doing for trans* people.

I'll post again when I get the new birth certificate with an update of how long it took for them to get it back to me etc...



No comments:

Post a Comment