Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Part I: Therapy 5 and more coming out

Today is April 10, 2013, and today I came out to my parents and my most immediate (in geography) family.

As you know, I had written draft letters to my friends, family and parents but was sitting on them until the time felt right.

Last night I had a therapy session and we discussed this issue of my parents and abandonment and coming out to them.  I basically said that, you know, telling my parents isn't going to change my day to day life.  But it is going to be an emotional experience.  I don't do well with emotional experiences.
Telling my parents and my close family seemed frightening and daunting.   But in my conversation with my therapist, he said something along the lines of, why not tell your close family in case they could be allies and advocates for you when you tell your parents.

So after that meeting with him, I actually got a bit fired up and anxious to tell people. It still scared the crap out of me, though, but I decided (with my partner's help) that today would be the day, and email would be the way.

I sent off the letter to my parents at 10:25 this morning.  At 10:26 this morning I emailed my relatives who live in town and in a town fairly nearby.  Then I headed off for a meeting that was to last two hours.  Two hours without access to email or the phone.  I had a mixture of dread and excitement racing through my veins.

At 1:02 p.m., I got my first response.  It was from my cousin's wife, who I love dearly, and it was totally accepting and fantastic. It even started with, "Dear Jake."  I couldn't have asked for a better response. And frankly, if she's the only one who accepts me, I'll take it.

So...I'm still on tenterhooks because I haven't heard from anyone else, but I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing in general.

Right now I'm not posting the letter to my parents or to my relatives, but I may in the future.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like a sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment