Thursday, April 4, 2013

Part 1: Therapy 4

This one should really say Dateline April 2, 2013.

So...on April 2, 2013 I had an appointment with my therapist.  We discussed my MMPI results.  It was really interesting.  He seemed really reassured by the test results, which was...reassuring.
We talked about how I may be impulsive when scored on the female scale, but normal on the male, although the "anger" scale was still kind of high when scored on the male scale.  I addressed that by saying that I'm a pretty calm person and that it takes a lot to get me angry. A lot.  Even my partner has mentioned that I don't get angry, really. I can get mean when I'm cornered, but I don't really get angry.

Following a good discussion of the MMPI he told me that he didn't think I needed any more therapy, really.  I said that May would mark the three month point together and he said that he should give me a letter in May.  We decided that the day would be May 7 (woot!) and that we'd write the letter together.  This allows me to have like a mini session with him as well as only pay for the session (which insurance will pay for) and not for letter writing time (which insurance will not).

Between now and then we have two sessions set up. We're going to discuss abandonment at one. I think this is a good thing to discuss because I have a lot of fears of being abandoned by my parents when I finally tell them I'm transgender and transitioning.  I know I'll survive if they do cut me out of their lives, but I'm still nervous and scared about it.

The second session we're going to go over some self-hypnosis-type things to help me be calm for surgery, which should be pretty great. I could definitely use some calming influences when it comes to having surgery.

To top off a great day (actually, this happened earlier in the day) I also got asked by my boss to submit a form requesting a job study so I can potentially get a promotion and go up a classification.  This is also very exciting.

My life seems to be coming together well. Now I just have to begin the tough job of telling the toughest people in my life about the transition - my parents and family and my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment